Saturday, August 9, 2008

Splish Splash Alcohol Inks (and a GIVEAWAY!)

When I say I have a lot of supplies...I mean I have TONS and TONS of supplies! A stamper's best friend is anything that adds color, right? I have walnut inks, Glimmer Mists, color and watercolor pencils, Radiant Pearls, Twinkling H2Os and so on. Whew!! Today I worked with my alcohol inks and here is a really simple (but sometimes messy) technique tutorial.
These are the supplies you'll need:
  • glossy cardstock

  • 3 colors of alcohol inks

  • rubbing alcohol in a spritz bottle

  • black ink pad

  • rubber stamp

  • scissors
  • heat toolSpritz your piece of glossy cardstock with rubbing alcohol. This will help spread the inks.
    Start with your lightest color and randomly "squirt". End with your darkest color. Make sure you squirt as lightly as you can because you don't want the colors to get all muddy.
    Spritz a little more rubbing alcohol. Use your heat gun to move the inks around a bit. Add more alcohol ink if you need more coverage.
    Stamp your image. Try and stamp on areas where the colors aren't too dark.
    Cut out your images. Make your card :). So simple yet you get a nice "ooh...ahhhh" effect.
    Have fun trying out this technique and thanks for stopping by! Leave comments as I love reading them :).

Everyone who leaves a comment...I will randomly choose a winner to receive a nice package of goodies - ranging from rub-ons, stickers, acrylic stamp(s), etc. etc. Sounds good, no? I will choose a winner on Monday and contact you for your mailing address. Have fun!

47 comments:

  1. Boy do I LOVE this technique... you can be sure I'll be using it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. h I have often wondered about getting alcohol inks but never done it.. I think I am going to have to do this now.. since it is so simple. awesome card. tfs

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous card. i never knew that alcohol inks could be so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this technique maybe now I will use my alchol inks

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, you made alcohol inks look so pretty with the flowers and glossy paper! I like how you cut them out, and didn't just leave them as a background panel.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow,
    When I saw this card over on the Cricut board, I thought these flowers were silk, not paper. I'm going to have to try this.
    Thanks for the great directions.
    Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  7. great technique! I will be trying it out! Beautiful card.

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg this is so clever! do the alcohol inks say alcohol on the label? must look into it! thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I keep putting off buying alcohol inks. I don't know enough about them to use them well. I really like what you've done!! I'll have to try it with the three colors I DO have... lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Omg, that really has an "OOOOooohh!" factor! What a cool project to try out my alcohol inks, I haven't even taken them out of the package yet! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is awesome! Thanks for sharing this technique/idea. I have always wondered how to use alcohol inks. Those flowers turned out beautiful! Love it!
    (Sammie's mom on tally)

    ReplyDelete
  12. great technique and great card. I love your colour combo!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have used this technique (the inking part)but never stamped a image on it after and cut it out..........gonna try it soon. Love all your cards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great technique! Love your card! Thanks for sharing!! :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are gorgeous! Great technique! I love my alcohol inks but just don't use them enough...I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I looove your card...I, too, have many supplies and, at times, at loss of what else I could do with them. This looks like an awesome technique that I am suuuurreeely going to try.

    Have a great weekend
    Monika

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this technique. Your cards are amazing. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW I thought those flowers were silk too!
    I have never used alcohol inks, wouldnt have known where to start before seeing this, so I may just have to give them a try!

    hhmmm wonder what they would look like on a buterfly?? haha

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! What a cool idea! And it looks simple! Thanks for an awesome tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! I would never have thought of using my alcohol inks in this way! I can't wait to try it! I also want to do this with a butterfly stamped image but I don't have a butterfly stamp. Hmmm, think I just enabled myself to buy a butterfly stamp! LOL

    Thank-you for sharing such an awesome technique! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH, I can't wait to try this! I have some flower and butterfly stamps with matching punches (these work great as they match the stamps perfectly) that this would be so awesome! Thanks for posting this technique, it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, what a great technique! I have some alcohol inks but haven't had the nerve to try anything yet. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like this technique! You naughty enabler, you, now I have to get some glossy paper! Your work is marvelous. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  25. that really is a cool technique. I have a couple of alchol inks but just in dark colors, makes me want to go out and buy some brigt colored ones.

    kat

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are so right! It definitely left me saying, "Oooh" and "Ahhh". I have never tried this technique, but that is soon going to change. Thanks for a great tutorial! I love the final product and how the flowers popped off the page.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow i thought the flowers were primas that were alcohol inked .I love your tutoril...very easy to do thanks for sharing with us !

    ReplyDelete
  28. what a great idea, i LOVE how these turned out. thanks so much for sharing.
    jennie
    jcscraphappy
    http://jennieslilpieceoflife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is beautiful! I bought alcohol inks for another project and was wondering what else to do with them. You are very creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks i'll b sure to look for it next time i'm out shopping :D (er..ignore this comment when ur choosing! lol)

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow! love the look of this! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow! I have stayed away from alcohol inks, but may just have to buy some now! I love the look of those flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Great technique... must get my alcohol inks out from the back of my cupboard!!!!!! TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW!!! Those flowers are stunning. Thanks for sharing a great technique.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This is absolutely beautiful! I'm going to have to try it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this technique!! Thanks for sharing it with us.I have the inks but never know what to do with them. Now I know what to do. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. wow, i just loved the technique, i'm gonna have to break down and finally get those inks!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thanks for sharing!! I would never have believed it was something so simple. Now I have something more to buy and try!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your tutorial is very thorough and visual. The alcohol inks I have had in my closet for 2 years will get to come out and play now. You are a great inspiration to all crafters. Your flowers and all your cards are more than words can say. You have a great talent.

    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh my! I love this technique! Thanks for sharing it. I'm sure to give it a try. I recently purchased some alcohol inks and I'm having fun playing with them!
    smiles,Deena

    ReplyDelete
  41. Ok that is beautiful! When I first saw it, I thought - "oh no" but once I saw it cut out and embellished, I thought wow - this girl is an artist. You must have an eye for this.

    I don't and I will be stealing your technique. :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Ya know I love to use alcohol inks, but you're right ... they're so darn messy! Well it's like I always say in my LSS classes ... if you're not gettin messy, you're not havin fun yet!

    I haven't thought of doing this technique, will definitely give it a shot. Results are beautiful. Great card.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love this technique...haven't used it yet BUT now you have me inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Thanks for showing how to do that technique, it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love this technique, it's terrific and so is your card ... just beautiful!

    Stop by my blog ... I left you some "Blog Bling"!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Thank you for the tutorial, Lorelie! Now I need to get some alcohol inks!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Love to hear from you!